Saturday, December 25, 2010

Visions of Los Angeles

Wow, I was so open to serve the Lord and That I did. Went to Los Angeles Mission yesterday and helped out at their Christmas dinner function. My daughter and her boy-friend were going and I have always wanted to do something like serving the needy. This was my opportunity. I had a ride and a place to go. I was ready by 6:45am. Waiting for my ride to pick me up, seeing as I do not drive if I do not have to. Arrived in L.A. with the cool of the morning and the Toy District still not even opened all the way. People already waiting outside the mission for their freebie things. We were in charge of the give away jackets. There were pallets of these boxes of jackets and there were sizes from children's XS to MXL. Of course everyone wanted the MXL. We had to be diplomatic about who got what by sizing them up, why you might ask. Well there were many more children sizes than mens and then very few MXL. Some wanted to take them even if it didn't fit them, they would give it to their family someone. Very few didn't take them because they would not fit them. I smiled a lot and seemed to call everyone 'sweetie' or 'hon'. The weather was very nice, sun was shining and warm. I believe I may have got a slight tan from the left side of my face.
Seen celebrities that I didn't know, were celebrities. Saw a character in my daughter that made me laugh inside, cause I seen and heard 'Me'. And Time flew by. Before I knew it it was 2:30 pm and I don't think I was ready to go, but my team-mates (daughter and boy-friend) were. So we left the others holding down the fort. so to speak.
The people I had seen I still can not wash from my sights. Not that I wish I could or even trying to. I just keep seeing them go by, in want, in need, in hopes. I just keep seeing them and yet there is no face really. They are all the same type and seem to carry themselves the same way and are okay with it.
    I am in awe at how BLESSED I am. I am still 'Thanking the LORD' for the many blessings His has poured out on me and my family and loved one's. I am in a warm home, with clean sheets on a real bed. I have a pillow and heat in my home that allows me to be comfortable and I have food that I cooked in my kitchen with my dishes and it is all clean. I am so blessed and I know it. There are people who don't have much that they can call their own and they sleep on the dirty streets of L.A. and beg for what ever they have and take whatever hand outs others are willing to give them and they are cold. But tonight they may have a jacket that I handed them yesterday. No I did not give it to them. The jackets were donated by someone else. I do not know who, but I did hand it to them and some took it and were thankful.
Needless to say, at the end of the day, I was exhausted. I was pooped out and Oh So Thankful that I had my pillow in my home with my warm bed to sleep comfortably in and I did.

No comments: