Sunday, April 10, 2011

April Showers.....?

I have been having a time for the garden. This last week we were to have a storm come through, but it didn't bring much but cold weather.

It was actually34* two days ago. I was worried that my tomatoes may have froze , but they were okay.
I have turned more dirt than I have ever can imagine.
I have had to buy dirt to fill my 'U' bed and it still is not filled. Whats a gardener to do. My compost is Hot though and we will have more(dirt)  soon, just not now.
So this last week I went to the garden to see if corn needed water and if chickens gave me any eggs and just relax a bit . I need to do that from time to time since I am homeschooling Punkin, and low and behold. I see a grasshopper on the ground. So I casually walk up as to not scare it and I step on its legs. Cool snack for the ladies (chickens). I go to pick it up and I had to pull on it. It was coming out of the ground. I was like, WHAT?
I tugged and out it came with this long thing attached to it. I am told it was laying eggs. I tell you it was gross.
I found another one today in the compost and hit it with a claw. Feed it to the ladies and found its long thing still in the compost pile. DISGUSTING!!!
But two munchers gone , sweet.
Anyway, this next week I am hoping to plant my sprouting seedlings. That will will be sweet. Summer garden here we come.






Salsa, and cucumber / tomato sandwiches.


I love it. It's better than tangerines and chess-its.

No comments: