Sunday, March 27, 2011

3/27

We were together all day my best friend and I. Today was his birthday.
I made him breakfast and and then sent him outside, where he loves to be when he's home and the weather is sweet. Today it was. Not hot and not cold. Cloudy and just right for working on the ranch.
Okay so it is a small ranch , but we love it.
He has been working since I guess Friday on a raised bed for me. His best friend.

Today after I turned four compost piles, I helped him build it. We are calling it the "U" bed.
It is huge really. Especially with nothing in it. But still. 104 square feet, yeah big.
Anyway, we have always worked well together and today was good. We finished it. Now all I need to do is fill it with more dirt and then , Plants.
Part of why it took three days to build other than age, don't repeat that, is because we have gophers. So we needed to put wire mesh/ screen down. So we spaded it in the shape we wanted. Okay he did.
Then used Ole Trusty , that kept puttering out, not so trusty.
Then put down the wire screen, and put back in the dirt. Then built the raised bed, using 2x6s.
When then bed frame was complete, I went around and filled in the dirt around the frame to cover the screen. I had to work it pretty good so that as time goes by we don't get scatched by the stuff. It could be pretty nasty, if one was scratched by a thin wire that has been in the ground for a few years. So, I crawled around on my hands and knees pounding dirt.
Needless to say, I feel like I have been beat by the hammer right now and I need to go sit in a more comfortable chair. But I just wanted to let you know how my best friends day went. We ended it with one of his favorite meals. Burgers from IN/OUT.
Now that is what I call a win win situation.
I get my raised garden bed and dinner out and he gets to spend the day with his best friend and gets the job done.
needs amendments to fill 





sporting our work belt aprons
made by hope'nmotion

I will let you know when we get to plant in it. It still needs some amendments added.

No comments: